When it comes to Australian wine regions, the Yarra Valley stands out for its cool climate wines and stunning landscapes. Located just an hour’s drive from Melbourne, it’s a popular destination for wine enthusiasts and tourists alike.
With over 80 wineries, the Yarra Valley offers a diverse range of wines, from world-class Chardonnay and Pinot Noir to innovative sparkling wines. So, whether you’re a seasoned wine connoisseur or a novice looking to expand your palate, here are the 10 best wineries in the Yarra Valley.
The 10 Best Cellar Doors in the Yarra Valley
From my visits to the Yarra Valley’s wineries, I’ve selected 10 recommendations. Each winery offers its own unique atmosphere, from stunning views to delicious cheese boards.
For those who appreciate brevity, here’s a TL;DR. For a more detailed version, scroll down to the section below:
- Yarra Yering – Known for its legendary reds and awarded the top gong in James Halliday’s 2021 wine guide.
- Domaine Chandon – Famous for its premium wine, often enjoyed during celebratory moments.
- Oakridge Wines – Renowned for its award-winning farm-to-plate eatery and great wines.
- Rochford Wines – Located in the middle of the Yarra Valley hub of Healesville, offering a fine-dining experience.
- Soumah of Yarra Valley – One of the Yarra’s few 5-star wineries, specializing in Yarra Valley cool climate classics.
- Kellybrook Winery & Distillery – Focusing on small-batch Yarra Valley estate wines, traditional ciders, and more.
- Mandala Wines – Known for its cool climate Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
- Tokar Estate – Boasts some of the oldest vines in the Yarra and one of the best restaurants in the region.
- Helen & Joey Estate – Known for its signature Pinot Noir and Chardonnay varieties.
- Pimpernel Vineyards – Known for its artisan, small-batch mindset.
What Wine is Yarra Valley best known for?
The region’s cool climate and diverse soils make it ideal for growing a range of grape varieties, resulting in a diverse selection of high-quality wines.
The Yarra Valley is best known for producing a variety of wine styles, including Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Chardonnay – Known for its elegance and complexity, with flavours ranging from citrus and green apple to peach and melon.
- Pinot Noir – Typically light to medium-bodied, with red fruit flavours and sometimes earthy notes.
- Cabernet Sauvignon – Often blended with other varieties, these wines are full-bodied with dark fruit flavours and spicy notes.
The 10 Best Wineries in the YValley
The Yarra Valley, one of Australia’s most famous wine regions, is home to some of the country’s most exciting wineries, offering a diverse range of cool-climate wines. Here, we explore some of the best wineries in the Yarra Valley that you should consider for your next wine-tasting adventure.
1. Yarra Yering
Known for its legendary reds, Yarra Yering was awarded the top gong in James Halliday’s 2021 wine guide. It’s a popular place for wine tasting in Australia, with bookings being essential.
2. Domaine Chandon
This world-class winery is famous for its premium wine, often enjoyed during celebratory moments. Domaine Chandon features an award-winning restaurant and stunning architecture.
3. Oakridge Wines
Oakridge is renowned for its award-winning farm-to-plate eatery and great wines. It’s a standard bearer for sustainable, minimal intervention winemaking practices in Australia.
4. Rochford Wines
Located in the middle of the Yarra Valley hub of Healesville, Rochford is perfect for a weekend getaway. It offers a fine-dining experience at Isabella’s Restaurant and a casual meal at the il Vigneto Pizzeria.
5. Soumah of Yarra Valley
Soumah is one of the Yarra’s few 5-star wineries, using small-batch, foot-stomped methods to create their wines. They specialize in Yarra Valley cool climate classics like Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon.
6. Kellybrook Winery & Distillery
Kellybrook focuses on small-batch Yarra Valley estate wines, traditional ciders, Apple Brandy, and more. It’s one of the Yarra’s most multi-faceted playgrounds for all lovers of alcohol.
7. Mandala Wines
Mandala has grown to become one of the Yarra Valley’s most acclaimed wineries, first getting the 5-star nod from James Halliday back in 2018. They specialize in cool climate Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
8. Tokar Estate
Tokar Estate boasts some of the oldest vines in the Yarra and one of the best restaurants in the region. Its in-house modern Australian eatery has collected 13 Chef’s Hats from the AGFG over the years.
9. Helen & Joey Estate
Located in Gruyere, Helen & Joey Estate is known for its signature Pinot Noir and Chardonnay varieties. They also create fun twists on Merlot, Shiraz,Cab Sav, and Blanc de Blanc sparkling.
10. Pimpernel Vineyards
Pimpernel, founded by a French wine enthusiast, is known for its artisan, small-batch mindset. Each of Pimpernel’s wines is made with hand-picked, foot-stomped, and minimal intervention methods to create rustic drops that ooze with old-world flavour.
Whether you’re a seasoned wine connoisseur or a novice looking to expand your palate, the Yarra Valley offers a wealth of wineries to explore. From award-winning Chardonnay to unique cool-climate varieties, there’s something for every wine lover in this region.