When it comes to Australian wine regions, Margaret River stands out as a must-visit destination. Known for its stunning landscapes, exceptional wines, and a strong focus on sustainability, Margaret River is a haven for any wine enthusiast.
With over 200 wineries, you’re spoilt for choice in Margaret River— the hardest decision you’ll make is which Cellar Doors to visit for a wine tasting. So, whether you’re a seasoned wine connoisseur or a novice looking to expand your palate, here are the 10 best wineries in Margaret River.
The 10 Best Cellar Doors in Margaret River
From my visits to Margaret River’s wineries, I’ve selected 10 recommendations. Each winery offers its own unique atmosphere, from stunning views to delicious cheese boards.
For those who appreciate brevity, here’s a TL;DR. For a more detailed version, scroll down to the section below:
- Leeuwin Estate – Known for its outstanding chardonnays and tranquil views.
- Cullen Wines – A leader in sustainable winemaking practices.
- Vasse Felix – Margaret River’s founding wine estate.
- Glenarty Road – Offers an authentic paddock-to-plate dining experience.
- Voyager Estate – Well on its way to organic certification.
- Chow’s Table – Offers generous portions of share food inspired by Owner-Chef Mal Chow’s Malay heritage.
- Frui Momento – Offers a different dining experience for those who like their lunch with a side of vineyard.
- Woodlands Wines – Known for its premium Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay.
- Moss Wood – A family-owned winery with a reputation for producing some of Australia’s finest wines.
- Pierro – Best known for its ‘LTC’ Semillon Sauvignon Blanc.
What Wine is Margaret River best known for?
The region’s warm climate and diverse soils make it ideal for growing a range of grape varieties, resulting in a diverse selection of high-quality wines.
Margaret River is best known for producing a variety of wine styles, including Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, and Semillon.
- Cabernet Sauvignon – Full-bodied with dark fruit flavours and savoury tastes from black pepper to bell pepper.
- Chardonnay – Ranges from buttery to mineral in flavour with apple, pear, and tropical fruit flavours.
- Semillon – Often blended with Sauvignon Blanc to create a crisp, refreshing white wine.
The 10 Best Wineries in Margaret River
Margaret River, one of Australia’s most famous wine regions, is home to some of the country’s most exciting wineries, offering a diverse range of warm-climate wines. Here, weexplore some of the best wineries in Margaret River that you should consider for your next wine-tasting adventure.
1. Leeuwin Estate
Known for its outstanding chardonnays and tranquil views, Leeuwin Estate offers a unique culinary voyage guided by Chef Dan Gedge. The menu is elegant and innovative, featuring artful dishes made with local produce.
2. Cullen Wines
A leader in sustainable winemaking practices, Cullen Wines offers a unique dining experience. Head Chef Ben Day’s intelligent, ingredient-led cooking aligns with the complexity and beauty of Cullen’s wines.
3. Vasse Felix
As Margaret River’s founding wine estate, Vasse Felix offers one of the region’s best dining experiences. The menu is refined with many Asian ingredients and influences layered amongst locally sourced produce.
4. Glenarty Road
Run by a fifth-generation farming family, Glenarty Road offers an authentic paddock-to-plate dining experience and cellar door central to their fully operational farm. The multi-course set menu features everything from sourdough, cultured butter and cheese made on site to vegetables from the garden and farm-reared meat.
5. Voyager Estate
Voyager Estate is well on its way to organic certification, and the sustainably farmed vineyards surround the impeccably manicured gardens. The spacious restaurant offers a four or seven-course menu, each themed with a seasonal directive title.
6. Chow’s Table
Offering generous portions of share food inspired by Owner-Chef Mal Chow’s Malay heritage, Chow’s Table is a unique dining experience set amongst the vines.
7. Frui Momento
A collaboration between winemaker Larry Cherubino and lauded chef Seth James, Frui Momento offers a different dining experience for those who like their lunch with a side of vineyard.
8. Woodlands Wines
Known for its premium Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay, Woodlands Wines is a family-owned winery that offers a unique tasting experience.
9. Moss Wood
Moss Wood is a family-owned winery with a reputation for producing some of Australia’s finest wines, including Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, and Chardonnay.
Pierro is best known for its ‘LTC’ Semillon Sauvignon Blanc, but also produces high-quality Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot, Pinot Noir, and a late-harvestSemillon dessert wine.
Whether you’re a seasoned wine connoisseur or a novice looking to expand your palate, Margaret River offers a wealth of wineries to explore. From award-winning Chardonnay to unique warm-climate varieties, there’s something for every wine lover in this region.